Thursday, November 8, 2012

Are We Wrong?

That is the question that haunted me all night.  Maybe my world view is too old fashioned?  What if America's place in the world is supposed to change, and we are supposed to become part of a global movement - a one-world order, if you will?  Perhaps the world doesn't have a place for free markets and inalienable rights anymore?  The global community might just be rejecting our "shining city on a hill", spreading our democratic ideas and protecting other countries' freedoms.  Americans might not want economic and personal freedom through lower taxes and smaller government anymore, choosing instead the comfort and security that comes from government safety nets like welfare, social security, unemployment, and mandated minimum wages and vacations.

Clearly my country is moving in the opposite direction of my personal values and beliefs.  Social issues are clearly trumping economic issues at the ballot box, with the War on Women having a greater impact on the Presidential election than the impending Fiscal Cliff.  The war on the wealthiest 1% seems to be more important than the War on Terror.  Marriage equality and abortion rights are in the news more than dead and injured soldiers in Afghanistan and the death of our US Ambassador in Benghazi.

This is where I am today.  I'm just trying to figure out where the American people are after voting for four more years of increasing government, more taxes, and less freedom.  If that is the direction the USA is heading, I will have to get used to it.  However, I don't have to like it, and for now, I will keep fighting for what I believe.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you are saying. I am still in shock, too.

    Romney was right, but he was short by 2%. Forty-nine percent of voters DID vote against Romney for reasons that will be debated for quite some time. I am not sure how much time we should spend on trying to convert any of them. As I see it right now we have to concentrate on THREE primary missions: EDUCATION, MOTIVATION, and TURNOUT (EMP)! Our goal should be to get 100% turnout on our side, especially in the perceived swing states.

    In my opinion the Tea Party movement has allowed itself to be perceived as a "has been." I'm not saying that to be critical of the leadership - only making an observation. The sleeping giant needs to be re-awakened. We have four years to brainstorm and get it done.

    ReplyDelete