Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Welcome, Comrades!

That was how my husband greeted us this morning!  "We are officially a left-of-center country now!" he said.  But how did it happen, I keep asking myself!?  When did we make that left turn toward bigger government, more entitlements, and less personal responsibility?  I hope to examine all of those things through this blog, and hopefully you will join me on that journey. 

I've known for months that Obama was going to win this election, and it was pretty apparent to me that President Obama knew he was going to win also.  However, I admit to becoming caught up by the images of the large Romney rallies (and the small Obama rallies), and actually started believing miracles could happen.  I truly wanted to remain optimistic for my three young children and their future.  I knew what all the polls were saying, and knew it was probably a long shot (unless conservative pundits were right about the polls being wrong).  I also knew that all of the swing voters I knew were still voting for Obama.

So, all day yesterday, I prayed and hoped, and prayed some more!  I was not very surprised when the results started coming in, and weren't looking promising for Romney.  So many pundits kept saying that Romney would win Florida, Virginia and Ohio, because the polls showed that 60% of our country did not like the direction our country was heading.  Well, that may be true, but apparently they didn't think Romney was going to take the country in a better direction.

So, where does that leave us - the TEA Partiers, fiscal conservatives, libertarians, and reluctant Republicans?  Is our United States of America truly lost to the liberals and far left?  Can we capture the independents with a different message?  How do we get rid of the big-government progressive that has taken over the Republican Party?  Is our country now divded among the taxed and the dependent, the elites and the common man, the haves and the have-nots?  Is America lost forever after decades of increasing social welfare programs and generations of government-educated citizens?  I don't know.  I hope not!  I will try to be optimistic, but I am the political pessimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment